If you wish for having exotic getaway, Flores is the perfect destination to go. As expected from Indonesia, there are endless places to go when it comes to traveling. Flores is one of the most distinctive travel destinations in Indonesia. It has unique and untouched vibe to it. Traditional village, lush green hilly landscapes, distinctive cultures, and many more things to find when you decide to travel in Flores. In Portuguese, Flores means flower. Well, everything about Flores is beautiful indeed. Basically, Flores has something for you regardless your interest whether it is romance, adventure, geology, beach, culture, or archeology.
Where to go when travelling in Flores?
To make it easier for you to plan your itinerary for your travel in Flores, here are some recommended places of where to go:
- Mount Kelimutu – This is one of the most exotic mounts in the worlds. Aside from the beauty of the wildlife in the mountain, you can also pay a visit to the three-colored lake called Kelimutu Lake. This volcanic lake is the icon of Flores. If you as passionate hikers, this mount is for you and the lake is your bonus to take. It consists of three lakes which colors will change ranging from vibrant blue to muddy brown. The color change several times a year.
- Liang Bua Cave – People also call this place as Hobbit cave. This is where you can take a trip 100,000 years back into the past. This is where the skeletal of humanoids was found in 2003. They were only 106 cm tall and 30-40 kg weigh. If you are interested about the dwarfs, this place is perfect to visit. Learning more about human evolution can be fun by visiting this cave.
- Manggarai – This is where you can watch unusual ritual called Caci Whip Fight. It is annual ritual held usually in mid-August. This ritual is performed by two men coming from different villages. They dance to gong and drum music while the spectators egging them on. One man is act as the aggressor holding a whip, the other is the defender holding round shield. Even though the dance-fight is symbolic, it sometimes could be bloody. When it happens, it is considered as sacrifice to ancestors and gods.
- Bena Village – This living museum is a traditional village consist of 45 houses called Bhaga. This is where the centuries-old traditions are well kept. On the roofs, you can see human figurines. There also buffalo skulls hanging as decoration at the doorways. There are carved trunks representing the native’s ancestors. In addition, you will get to enjoy beautiful view of Mount Inerie and the Savu Sea from this village.
- Blue Stone Beach – This beach has different shades of blue which makes it unusual but still stunning and unique. There are turquoise pebbles at this beach creating astonishing view. The pebbles have different colors ranging from blue, green, to red. The locals often use the pebbles to make jewelry then sell it to local shop and you can but it as souvenir.